Borrowing from other libraries, Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If neither the Hinkle Library nor the libraries at Alfred University have an item, we can request it from other participating libraries. We cannot order textbooks for ASC classes via interlibrary loan.
- Books, (other than class textbooks)
Generally NOT loaned by libraries:
- periodical volumes
- books published within the last year
- reference materials
- books on tape/CD
- Music CD recordings
- materials that are considered rare, fragile, or too valuable to lend
- texts or textbooks for Alfred State College courses
- print materials available only from foreign libraries
Who can request?
Students, faculty/staff, alumni, and retired faculty/staff of Alfred State College.
How to request an ILL.
Use the ILLiad request form. (Set-up an account and use it indefinitely. Your account logs all of your requests and is the access point for electronically received articles).
How long does it take?
- It might take just a few days, or it might take a week or two. The general practice is to allow a minimum of 14 days for the item to arrive.
- When requesting ILL's, indicate on the form the latest date you can use the materials and if you will accept charges.
- Photocopies or faxes may be kept by the requestor.
- For books and non-print media the loan period and conditions are set by the lending library.
- You can request renewals from your ILLiad account.
- No more than 10 interlibrary loan items can be checked out at one time. Exceptions to this limit are at the discretion of the Interlibrary Loan Department.
- If the only lending library that has the item you want charges to loan the item, you are responsible for paying the fee.
- You are financially responsible for the replacement or repair of materials lost or damaged during use.
- You are responsible for the replacement cost of lost or damaged materials as imposed by the lending library.
- Repeated violation of the Interlibrary Loan service may suspend or terminate your privilege to use the Interlibrary Loan service.
Requests must conform to US Copyright Laws and Guidelines:
- Rule of five: Only five articles from a periodical title published in the last five years may be obtained in any calendar year or Royalty Charges will apply.
- No more than one article in an individual issue of a periodical may be obtained in any calendar year or Royalty Charges will apply.