Is the Hinkle Library Open?
At this time and per campus policy, access to the building is restricted to library faculty and staff, as well as to the staff of Technology Services, and Marketing & Communications.
If you need something from the library collection or have a question, call 607-587-4313 between 8 am - 4 pm, or email: email@example.com
If you need to contact the Technology Services Help Desk, call 607-587-4357 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Books/DVD's: Contact the library at 607-587-4313 or email: email@example.com if you find an item in our collection that you wish to borrow and we will contact you to let you know if it is available. We will provide instructions on where and how to pick up the material at the Library. Due to limited staff availability, we are unable to mail materials to borrowers.
- Course Reserves: As the library is closed, physical reserves are no longer available. We are surveying our reserve collection to identify those texts that are currently available free from publishers, and will contact faculty if this proves to be the case. We will scan material from those texts that have not been made freely available by publishers, upon faculty request.
- Laptops: Circulation of laptops has been suspended for the semester.
- Interlibrary Loan: Because most libraries have either closed, have limitations in mailing material, and/or have limited staff available to process requests, ILL for books has been suspended. If you have already borrowed items via ILL note that all materials now have a due date of June 5, 2020. ILL requests for articles will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Contact Jane Vavala for more information.
What is available online?
- Databases & E-Books (ASC credentialed users): A wide range of databases and e-books are available from the library web page.
- A list of the most widely used databases and e-books is found on the library web page in the "Start Here" box. Use the pull-down menu labeled "Direct Links to Popular Databases."
- To access these resources from off-campus, just link to the database, and when prompted, input your ASC username and password.
- This short video provides a quick introduction to the resources at the library.
- Freely Available e-textbooks: Many publishers are making textbooks available to students this semester. A partial list includes the following:
- VitalSource: E-Texts and courseware from many publishers; students may access up to seven titles
- RedShelf Responds: free access to digital texts through the end of May
- Cengage: free access to all their digital platforms and 14,000 ebooks
- Norton: Check their website for the availability of content this semester
I have books that are due or overdue at the Library. What should I do?
- We have extended the due date for all borrowed materials to June 5, 2020. We will waive late fees for this period.
- To return materials you have borrowed from the Alfred State Libraries, you have three options:
- If you live locally, you may return materials to the Hinkle Library via the book drop at the end of the SDC parking lot, or through the book slot to the left of the front entrance to the library.
- To return materials by mail, send them to: Hinkle Library, Upper Campus Drive, Alfred State College, Alfred, NY 14802
- You may return any ASC library materials to any SUNY (not CUNY) library across NYS
How can I get library help?
- Please email Library@alfredstate.edu and someone will get back to you as soon as possible, or call 607-587-4313 from 8 am - 4 pm.